STEPS FOR PERFORMING PENETRATE TESTING
Hello friends today we discuss about the Penetrate testing that is used to find out surface defect of material, casting, moulding ,welding joint and also discuss the process of this test mean how can we perform this test.
We called this type of testing with following name
- Penetrate Testing
- Dye Penetrate Testing
- Liquid penetrate Testing
Limitations of this test –
- Defects those are open to surface only those can be detected
- Material should be non porous.
Advantage of this test-
- Geometry or shape of part is not a problem.
- Less skill is required.
- Evaluation of indication is easy.
Steps that evolved while performing this test-
- Pre Cleaning –there should not be any foreign material such as dirt, rust, grease, oil and water so Surface should be thoroughly clean with the cleaner.
- Application of Penetrate – on the test surface apply the Penetrate (red colour dye) with brush, spraying, dipping and swabbing. Now the question is on what principle penetrates work? Answer is it work on capillary action and penetrate enter in porosity or defective surface.
- Penetration time or dwell time – Depends on the parts to be examined for example time require for penetration in welds must be 10 minutes, casting -7 minutes, shafts- 30 minutes.
- Removal of excess penetrate – remove the excess penetrate.
- Application of developer- Thin and uniform layer of developer applied on the surface of test piece. Metal surface should not visible.
Function of developer - it provide constancy background, it blot and bleed the penetrate from the defect and magnifying the indication.
- Development Time -7 minute to 60 minute, it start after drying the developer. It works on reverse capillary action.
- Inspection – it is very cautious face of this test, In this face we must carefully examine the indication. That is divided in two types.
Round indication – L ≤ 3 W
Linear indication – L > 3W
L = length
W = width
- Post Cleaning and rectify the defect and again retest after attending the joint or surface.
IF YOU WANT TO BUY THIS TEST KIT CLICK ON AMAZON LINK I PROVIDE FOR YOU TO BUY THIS KIT
TYPE OF NON DESTRUCTIVE TEST AND WHAT TYPE OF TEST TO BE CONDUCTED FOR PARTICULAR TYPE OF DEFECT-CLICK HERE
TO KNOW WHY WE USE ALLOY STEEL AND WHAT IS BENEFIT OF ALLOY STEEL - CLICK HERE
TO KNOW ABOUT THE NATURE OF LOW TEMPERATURE CARBON STEEL AND WHERE IT IS USED -CLICK HERE
TO KNOW WHY WE NEED TO USE KILLED CARBON STEEL AND WHAT IS KILLED CARBON STEEL- CLICK HERE
TO KNOW ABOUT CARBON STEEL - CLICK HERE
WHAT IS STAIN AND WHAT IS STAINLESS STEEL AND WHY STAINLESS STEEL CALL STAINLESS STEEL- CLICK HERE
TO KNOW ABOUT THE TYPE OF STAINLESS STEEL - CLICK HERE
TO KNOW ABOUT ELEMENT OF POST WELD HEAT TREATMENT AND DESCRIPTION OF EACH ELEMENT - CLICK HERE